A Police Officer performs a wide variety of duties for the prevention of crimes, traffic control, and enforcement of state and local regulations. Officers also issue citations, participate in and conduct a variety of criminal investigations, makes arrests, provides support and assistance to special crime prevention and law enforcement programs to ensure the safety and security of City streets, buildings, residences, and neighborhoods.
The Rosenberg Police Department takes pride in hiring and training the most elite Police Officers. We are a proactive department with the goal of deterring criminal activity, making the City of Rosenberg a better place to live. We don’t just give you the title of Police Officer, we allow you to be a cop. We are searching for problem solving individuals that possess unquestionable integrity, a dynamic work ethic, and someone ready for a challenge, not complacency.
Below you will find information about the minimum requirements, hiring process and the physical agility test.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or equivalent.
- Applicant MUST be a licensed Texas Peace Officer or be currently enrolled in a basic police officer academy. Applicant will not be eligible for hiring until applicant is a licensed Texas Peace Officer.
- Applicant must have an eligible Texas Driver’s License.
- Applicant must be able to work in the U.S. on an unrestricted basis.
- Applicant must have no felony or domestic violence convictions, no convictions for Class “A” misdemeanor or higher offenses.
- Applicant must not have any DWI, DUI, or Class “B” misdemeanor convictions within the last ten years.
- Applicants must pass a basic reading and writing skills exam, a fitness assessment, a firearms qualification, polygraph exam and an oral review board.
- Applicant must be of good moral character as evidenced through proper references, general reputation and/or job history confirmed through a background investigation.
Below are the required steps in the Police Officer hiring process. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements, submit a Personal History Statement, submit required documents, and pass each step in the hiring process.
- Applicant must complete an online application during an open hiring process.
- Applicant must pass the physical agility test with a minimum overall average of 50%.
- Applicant must submit a completed Personal History Statement and the required documents. (All documentation must be submitted prior to scheduling an oral board interview)
- Applicant must pass an oral board interview.
- Applicant must pass background investigation.
- Applicant must pass polygraph exam. *
- Applicant must pass a reading, writing and math exam. *
- Applicant must pass psychological exam. *
- Applicant must pass physical examination and drug screen.
* Lateral applicants who have a minimum of two years of previous employment as a Police Officer in the State of Texas and are found to be employed in “good standing” with no breach of service, may have steps in the hiring process waived at the discretion of the Chief. Click here to see if you qualify as a Lateral Applicant.
The test is a 2,000 meter row test with the difficulty level set to "5". To pass, you must achieve a minimum score of 50%, Your score is determined based on your gender, age, and weight. To determine your minimum standard for a passing 50%, visit the Texas Department of Public Safety website and follow the steps below:
- Select your gender and age range, then type in your weight
- Under the "Desired Results" section, type "50"
- Click "Calculate"
* You must achieve that time or faster to pass the Concept 2 Rower test.
Training for the 2000 meter row test (Video)
Training & Education
The Rosenberg Police Department is known for promoting continued training throughout the year for all employees. Officers can expect to receive up to 200+ hours of TCOLE training in various topics such as Firearms, Defensive Tactics, Penal Code,, Police Ethics, Search and Seizure, Use of Force and more.
New officers will also train for 4 months in the Field Training Program where they will ride and train with a Field Training Officer in, but not limited to, the following areas:
- City Ordinances
- Equipment Use
- Officer Safety
- Patrol Procedures
- Policies and Procedures
- Proper Application of the Law
- Proper Use of Force
- Report Writing
Out of State Police Applicants
For out of state police applicants, we encourage you to visit the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement website for more information on how to obtain a Texas Certification. Before you are hired, you must be a licensed Texas Peace Officer.
Required Documents (Download)
The Personal History Statement (PHS) must be completed in full, signed by the applicant and notary where indicated and submitted no later than the date of the physical agility test. Other required documents must also be submitted with your PHS. Failing to submit the PHS and required documents in a timely manner may result in a delay or disqualification. A resume will not be accepted in place of a PHS.