The Police Cadet is an entry-level non-sworn position with the City of Rosenberg, This position is intended for the best qualified applicant who will be brought on as a city employee and sent to an area police academy to receive their state peace officer certification. Cadet applicants will be required to complete the full hiring process for police officers. Individuals who possess a Bachelor's Degree or higher, or have military service with an honorable discharge, or a current employee of the City of Rosenberg are encouraged to apply.
Applicants who are hired as Police Cadets will attend an area police academy full time (40 hours a week) which will focus on training in the topics of criminal law, arrest procedures, defensive tactics, firearms, drive training, physical fitness, first aid, investigations, crime scene procedures and more.
Once the academy is successfully completed, you will transition to the Patrol Division as a sworn certified Texas Police Officer. You will then be assigned to the Field Training program where you will begin a four month training process with experienced Rosenberg Police Officers.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or equivalent.
- Applicant must be 21 years of age or older.
- Applicant must have an eligible Texas Driver’s License.
- Applicant must be able to work in the U.S. on an unrestricted basis.
- Applicant must have no felony or domestic violence convictions, no convictions for Class “A” misdemeanor or higher offenses.
- Applicant must not have any DWI, DUI, or Class “B” misdemeanor convictions within the last ten years.
- Applicants must pass a fitness assessment, an oral review board, a background investigation, basic reading and writing skills exam, a polygraph exam and a psychological exam.
Applicants interested in the Cadet position must also meet one of the following requirements:
- Must possess a Bachelor's Degree or higher or;
- Have military service with an honorable discharge or;
- A current City of Rosenberg employee (not on probation) who is in good standing with their current department.
Below are the required steps in the Police Cadet hiring process. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements, submit a Personal History Statement, submit required documents, and pass each step in the hiring process.
- Applicant must complete an online application during an open hiring process.
- Applicant must pass the physical agility test with a minimum overall average of 50%.
- Applicant must submit a completed Personal History Statement and the required documents. (All documentation must be submitted prior to scheduling an oral board interview)
- Applicant must pass an oral board interview.
- Applicant must pass background investigation.
- Applicant must pass polygraph exam.
- Applicant must pass a reading, writing and math exam.
- Applicant must pass psychological exam.
- Applicant must pass physical examination and drug screen.
Once hired, Cadets will attend an area police academy to receive a state peace officer's certification.
The test is a 2,000 meter row test with the difficulty level set to "5". To pass, you must achieve a minimum score of 50%, Your score is determined based on your gender, age, and weight. To determine your minimum standard for a passing 50%, visit the Texas Department of Public Safety website and follow the steps below:
- Select your gender and age range, then type in your weight
- Under the "Desired Results" section, type "50"
- Click "Calculate"
* You must achieve that time or faster to pass the Concept 2 Rower test.