A Police Officer performs a wide variety of duties for the prevention of crimes, traffic control, and enforcement of state and local regulations. Officers also issue citations, participate in and conduct a variety of criminal investigations, makes arrests, provides support and assistance to special crime prevention and law enforcement programs to ensure the safety and security of City streets, buildings, residences, and neighborhoods.
The Rosenberg Police Department takes pride in hiring and training the most elite Police Officers. We are a proactive department with the goal of deterring criminal activity, making the City of Rosenberg a better place to live. We don’t just give you the title of Police Officer, we allow you to be a cop. We are searching for problem solving individuals that possess unquestionable integrity, a dynamic work ethic, and someone ready for a challenge, not complacency.
Below you will find information about the minimum requirements, hiring process and the physical agility test.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or equivalent.
- Applicant MUST be a licensed Texas Peace Officer or be currently enrolled in a basic police officer academy. Applicant will not be eligible for hiring until applicant is a licensed Texas Peace Officer.
- Applicant must have an eligible Texas Driver’s License.
- Applicant must be able to work in the U.S. on an unrestricted basis.
- Applicant must have no felony or domestic violence convictions, no convictions for Class “A” misdemeanor or higher offenses.
- Applicant must not have any DWI, DUI, or Class “B” misdemeanor convictions within the last ten years.
- Applicants must pass a basic reading and writing skills exam, a fitness assessment, a firearms qualification, polygraph exam and an oral review board.
- Applicant must be of good moral character as evidenced through proper references, general reputation and/or job history confirmed through a background investigation.
Below are the required steps in the Police Officer hiring process. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements, submit a Personal History Statement, submit required documents, and pass each step in the hiring process.
- Applicant must complete an online application during an open hiring process.
- Applicant must complete and pass physical agility testing with a minimum overall average of 40%.
- Applicant must submit a completed Personal History Statement. (Must be submitted prior to scheduling oral board interview)
- Applicant must pass an oral board interview.
- Applicant must pass background investigation. (Required documents shall be submitted prior to the start of the background investigation.)
- Applicant must pass polygraph exam. *
- Applicant must pass a reading, writing and math exam. *
- Applicant must pass psychological exam. *
- Applicant must pass physical examination and drug screen.
* Lateral applicants who have a minimum of two years of previous employment as a Police Officer in the State of Texas and are found to be employed in “good standing” with no breach of service, may have steps in the hiring process waived at the discretion of the Chief. Click here to see if you qualify as a Lateral Applicant.
The Physical Agility Test is comprised of five (5) events. To pass the physical agility test, you must finish with a 40% overall score. If you lack in one event of the testing, you can make up for it in another event. The below events make up the physical agility test.
- Vertical jump (40% is 16.5 inch vertical jump)
- Maximum number of sit-ups in one minute (40% is 31 sit-ups)
- 300 meter sprint (40% is 64.5 seconds)
- Maximum number of push-ups in one minute (40% is 29 push-ups)
- 1.5 mile run (40% is 15:20 minutes)
The Personal History Statement (PHS) is required documentation by the State of Texas and the Rosenberg Police Department. It must be completed, signed by the applicant and a notary and submitted. An incomplete PHS will result in the applicant being disqualified. This documentation must be turned in no later than the day of your physical agility test. A resume will not be accepted in place of a PHS.
In addition to your PHS, you will also need to submit other miscellaneous documents. You should begin collecting these documents as soon as possible to avoid a delay in the hiring process. These documents will be required when you reach the background investigation step in the hiring process.
Training & Education
New officers train for 4 months in the Field Training Program where they will ride and train with a Field Training Officer and be trained in, but not limited to, the following areas:
- City Ordinances
- Equipment Use
- Officer Safety
- Patrol Procedures
- Policies and Procedures
- Proper Application of the Law
- Proper Use of Force
- Report Writing
Request a Ride-Along
The Rosenberg Police Department encourages all potential applicants to ride along with an on duty police officer and experience what working for the City of Rosenberg could be like. Anyone who is a current police officer, or enrolled in a police academy can request a ride-along.
Out of State Police Applicants
For out of state police applicants, we encourage you to visit the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement website for more information on how to obtain a Texas Certification. Before you are hired, you must be a licensed Texas Peace Officer.